Life is short...
break all the rules
forgive quickly
kiss slowly
love truly
laugh uncontrollably
and never regret anything that once made you smile



Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy No-Matter-What Day

I don’t think anybody can sum up the last two years of my life better than Charles Dickens himself with his famous line from A Tale of Two Cities: “twas the best of times twas the worst of times.”

As many know, May 7th is a significant date for me. It was exactly two years ago to this day that I thought the 7th of May would be a day that I would never forget. I was right. However, what I did not anticipate changing was the emotions and feelings that I would associate with this date. And while the contrast of these emotions was painstakingly difficult at times, I have learned to not only appreciate it for what it is, but more importantly come to peace with that disparity.

Over the last two years I have had experiences that I wouldn’t trade for the world, while at the same time wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy. How does that work you might ask? Well that’s a good question. All I know is that over this last two years I have undergone more personal growth and self-discovery than I have in all my life. I have had my share of ups and downs, and lets just say that if we are using the analogy of “hills and valleys”…my “valleys” would have nearly dug themselves to china. But reversely, the same can be said for my “hills.” Life is not a flat path and for those who think it is are in for a harsh awakening. But needless to say most of my personal growth has come at my lowest of lows and for that I can say that if I could go back, I wouldn’t change a thing. Life is unpredictable. Time is a concept that I will probably never understand. I will never fully appreciate or comprehend how it can be so punishing; yet so rewarding. It has an incredible ability to heal the heart and that is something that I have learned personally.

One of my favorite artist once said: “it’s never easy to understand why memories hold our hand, but people let go.”

I love life. I love the opportunity to learn from trials. I love my friends and family. I am excited for what this new chapter in my life will bring.
-N

No comments:

Post a Comment